Request from Twitter
I was recently requested to post my recipe for Octopus Stifado via Twitter after Andy Marshall from Moogaloo experienced the soft juicy loveliness… I can’t take credit for this one as the recipe belongs to my good friends in Kos, the Kazala family (hey folks)….
@redpola this one is for you. Enjoy and let me know how it turns out won’t you???
So here goes….
Whole Octopus (or two small ones)
9/11 small shallots (or tiny onions)
4 Bay Leaves
6/8 All Spice Berries
Half cup of unfiltered extra virgin olive oil (or normal will do)
Tin of chopped tomatoes
1 glass of red wine
- Wash whole octopus and place in dry pan over medium heat for 30/45 mins. Make sure lid it on. Turn over half way through. (If pan seems dry after 15 mins, add a couple of table spoons of water).
- 30 mins in to the above… In a separate pan, prepare small onions whole and add cinnamon stick, 4 bay leaves and 6 to 8 all spice berries and cook over medium heat with half a cup of unfiltered olive oil until onions start to turn brown. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Back to first pan – Remove some of the water from octopus so only a small amount left and add glass of red wine, bring to boil and simmer for a few mins.
- Add onion mix to Octopus pan with a can of chopped tomatoes and add a spoon of sugar. Bring to boil.
- Turn down heat to medium and Cook for a further 20 mins with pan lid.
Post photos via twitter (@JayRozanski) or our Facebook page….
Share this Post